Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tom Colligrino

Last Saturday was very warm here in Seattle. It was sunny and the high probably got close to 70. It felt like the beginning of summer, so I bought the ingredients for one of my favorite summer cocktails, the Tom Colligrino.

This drink was invented by my good friend Darren Vengroff. It's nothing more than a shot of vodka and half a can of San Pellegrino Limonata, on the rocks with a slice of lime. Fancy-pants mixologists out there may look down on the Tom Colligrino as unsophisticated, but to my mind it elegantly captures the low-stress, back-porch, hanging out with friends essence of summer.

Of course yesterday the weather was miserable: it hailed in the morning, and all afternoon was a mix of rain and snow. But some days you come home from work and you want a cocktail. Yesterday was one of those days for both Jenny and me, and I've found that if you close your eyes and sip a summer cocktail you can conjure the feeling of summer regardless of the current conditions.

1 comment:

vengroff said...

Thanks for the props, John. I can't wait for the weather to turn so these can become a regular feature on the back deck. Throw some fish and veggies on the grill and your evening is complete.