Sunday, April 13, 2008

Roagna - 2006 Dolcetto d'Alba

$17 from McCarthy and Schiering. An interesting educational experience. I was all prepared to pan this wine. My initial impression of it had some positive notes, it had the "tastes like Italy" quality that Jenny and I like in Italian reds, which I think other people call "earthiness." But it was aggressive to the point of harshness on the palate, and excessively tannic, which isn't in keeping with the character of dolcetto.

"Maybe we should have decanted it," I lamented. Jenny suggested sticking the cork in and shaking the bottle up. It's something she's seen wine professionals do at work. Always up for an experiment, I jammed the cork in and shook the bottle like it was a can of Rust-oleum. I was surprised to find that a little aeration mellowed the tannins significantly, making it quite pleasant.

So, I withhold judgment on the Roagna. At $17 it's got to be pretty good to earn my endorsement, and I'm not quite certain about it. Perhaps I'll buy another bottle and report
new findings.

No comments: