Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Quinta De La Rosa - 2004 Douro

$18 at McCarthy and Schiering. Yum! I really, really like good Douros, which may be unsurprising given my affinity for port. This wine has big, dark fruit and elegant tannins, perhaps a bit shy on the acid, but I don't miss it at all. It's very full bodied, so much that I wanted to describe it as "rich," as if every sip was a little bite of dessert, even though it's not sweet. (This was, perhaps, a tad distressing as my mid-western upbringing makes me eschew dessert until I've "earned it" at the end of a meal. Oh, the tribulations I must overcome!)

Sadly, it's out of my price range for a nightly opener. I pulled it out tonight to have with asparagus and a simple tomato sauce over pasta only because it's been siting in my cupboard, bugging me, for weeks and I could no longer resist.

In short: well worth the $18, go buy some.

No comments: