Sunday, April 6, 2008

Naia 2006 Rueda

$11 McCarthy and Schiering. I'd never heard of Rueda before reading Eric Asimov's recent column in the NY times. I don't like being one of those foodies that just does what they're told: "You must go to this restaurant." "This wine is the hot new thing." But I was intrigued by the article and so I stopped by the wine shop on the way home.

Bracing myself, I timidly asked if they had any Ruedas on hand. As expected, they mocked me (good naturedly), "Rueda huh? I wonder where you heard about that." We chatted a bit and they confirmed that every time Asimov writes a new column, hordes of people come in looking for whatever it is he's talked about. I might easily have been the 100th person to ask for Rueda that day.

Anyway, this bottle was one of Asimov's top picks. I certainly like it. The back of the bottle says that grapefruit is one of the classic flavors of the verdejo grape, and I certainly get that flavor. My book says that wines based on verdejo from Rueda should be full bodied, but I find the Naia to be light and refreshing.

I need to explore Ruedas some more, but it might become this summer's Gruner-Veltliner, and this bottle is a strong contender.

No comments: