Thursday, April 24, 2008

Douro - 2006 Vale Da Clara

$11 at McCarthy and Schiering. I wrote about this wine in the pre-blog days. From March 23, 2008:

Very tasty, complex, with darker fruit flavors and nice tannins. A great deal at $11. A little too dark to accompany the simple, bright tomato sauce I served it with: sautée some rosemary and two cloves garlic, dump in some canned diced tomatoes, salt and pepper, drizzle with balsamic and cook until it thickens a bit, correct seasoning and toss with pasta, torn basil and fresh parm.

I'm going to buy a case of this stuff, but I'll reserve it for food a tad meatier. I think it would be perfect with something like my chicken cacciatore.

----

Apparently I forgot about the above advice, because after buying every bottle McCarthy and Schiering had in stock, I served it tonight with a vegetable soup. While it again overpowered the delicate flavors of the dish, this bottle remains a steal at $11. With the weather turning, I'll be grilling soon and this Douro will be the perfect accompaniment.

No comments: