Monday, April 21, 2008

Domaine Roc De Chateauvieux - 2006 Loire Pinot Noir

$11 from McCarthy and Scheiring. I was delighted to find that the French grow Pinot Noir in places other than Burgundy. This is a very pleasant and easy table wine. Exceedingly food friendly, I think it it would be a good match with nearly anything brought to the table; it certainly went well with the delicate vegetable soup I made tonight. It's got a floral, almost perfumy nose, and bright acidity balanced by fine tannins.

As an added bonus, it's bottled with a Stelvin closure (aka screwcap), so it's easy to open. It's a Vin De Pays, which I've learned is a French wine classification that translates to "country wine." This classification is below Apellation d'Origine Controlee (AOC), but above Vin De Table.

A steal at $11. I'm going to buy a case of this to have on hand for weeknight dinners.

No comments: