Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Domaine La Croix Belle - 2006 le Champ du Coq

This is a Syrah/Grenache blend which, according to the back of the bottle, is a vin de pays (country wine) from the Cotes de Thoungue region of France.

The syrah component comes through very strongly. It is tannic, and has intense dark fruit flavors I associate with syrah. It has a funny scent on the nose that I couldn't quite place. I described it as vaguely chemically at first, though after consulting The Wine Lover's Companion, it might be "tar," a positive term associated with young syrahs which are said to sometimes smell of hot tar.

Moderately priced ($12 I think, but I've lost the price tag), from McCarthy and Schiering. I liked it, and would buy it again, though I would reserve it for dinners where I was serving something with huge umami flavors.

No comments: