Monday, August 25, 2008

2007 Domaine De Couron Voigner

My 1995 edition of the wine lover's companion says "low yield and vineyard diseases make Viognier wines extremely difficult to find." Well, things seem to have changed in the ensuing twenty years -- I see Viognier based wines all the time nowadays.

That said, to date I've only had new world Viogniers, and they are much wimpier than this bottle. It's intensely floral on the nose and is very sweet, tasting of pears and honey on the palate. I served it with roast chicken with root vegetables (it's already feeling a bit like fall here in seattle, sadly). I would have liked a bit more acidity, to cut through the rich flavors of the roasted vegetables, but it was quite enjoyable. It would be a great with a light summer meal of cheese, olives, bread and a green salad.

$12 at McCarthy and Schiering.

1 comment:

vengroff said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. I'm looking forward to more of your reviews.