Sunday, September 7, 2008

2006 Lemelson Pinot Noir

After hacking up my finger cutting basil into chiffonade on Friday night, I didn't feel like cooking dinner on Saturday, so Jenny and I walked to How To Cook A Wolf for dinner. As usual, they were jam packed with a 45 minute wait for a table inside, but luckily there was no wait for an outdoor table. We'd brought light coats, so sitting on the sidewalk on a crisp evening was just fine with us.

We shared bruschetta topped with cranberry beans, marinated heirloom tomatoes, and a bowl of trofie with pesto. The pasta was particularly delicious; even better than the trofie I've had in Liguria (where it originates).

The wine was also very tasty, exhibiting classic pinot flavors of red fruit (Jenny: cherry, me: strawberry) and perfumey vanilla from the Burgundian oak in which it's aged. I might have preferred something a little more earthy with our meal, but this bottle was up to the job.

It wasn't cheap at $42. I probably wouldn't get it again at restaurant prices, but would definitely consider it if I wanted a good example of Oregon pinot and found it in the low-$20s at a wine shop.

1 comment:

St. Quisby said...

Hey, John! Just got your URL! I'll keep an eye out for this wine. Now that I'm living in Oregon, I'm drinking locally - checking out the wines and beers! One I've liked is Stone Wolf's Mueller-Thurgau. Nicer than most German whites, IMHO. But reading your blog made me hungry so I'm heading out to the local greasy spoon for breakfast.

Nancy Westrell