Thursday, May 22, 2008

Chateau du BlahBlah - 2006 Graves


We had this at Gaylord's Restaurant on Kauai. Gaylord's is a high-end place, perhaps with fanciest place to eat on the island. The tables are arranged around an outdoor courtyard - it's a beautiful setting.

The most entertaining part of the evening was the couple at the table next to ours. She was a tall, beautiful and very chatty (three lemon drops and two Irish coffees will do that to you). He was a short, bearded German fellow. They were an odd couple, but good conversationalists.

Among the things we talked about was the 17 mile, guided sea-kayak trip she'd scheduled for the next day. It had been canceled due to predicted heavy winds. When I noted that 17 miles seemed like a long way and Jenny asked where she had learned to kayak, she said "Oh honey, how hard can it be? You just put your paddle in the water." Though she was rather irate that the trip was off, I was secretly happy for her that it had been canceled.

As for the meal, this wine was probably the best part. I call it Chateau du BlahBlah because I didn't write down the name and I can't quite make it out from my low-light cell phone shot. I think it's Chateau du Seuil, and if I'm right it's an 80/20 mix of Semillon and Sauvignon blanc. I can't recall any detailed tasting notes, but I really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

eginwald said...

Chateau du Blahblah is in fact Chateau du Seuil, a domaine owned by a Welsh couple in the CĂ©rons area on the Garonne river (not far from Sauternes). You're right about the grape varieties. The wine partially ferments in oak barrels for 6-9 months (I checked on their web site). They harvest yearly distinctions all over the world but also in the guide Hachette, the French wine-buying reference guide. Apparently they sell their wine abroad but not in France. That's not fair.